Sunday 10 July 2016

SANCHEZ-KANE at FASHIONCLASH Festival 2016

Meet Barbara Sanchez Kane, a Mexican born fashion designer,  focused on menswear inspired by her mexican heritage. In 2010 she completed her first degree in industrial engineering from Universidad Anahuac. Five years later she graduated from from Polimoda in Florence. She did an intership at at Bernhard Willhelm in Los Angeles. Eventually she launched a brand SANCHEZ-KANE and presented her latest collection 'Sanchez-Kane for Tforthree' during FASHIONCLASH Festival.
Barbara presented a menswear collection with a strong narrative, telling a story about her Mexican heritage but also confronting societal issues. The collection is as playful as political and at the same a display of a promising fashion brand.


Q&A with Barbara Sanchez Kane

When did you realize you wanted to be a fashion designer?
I loved to style myself even in my small town… got a couple of stares from time to time. I ended up studying engineering as it was expected form me, but it never felt quite real. Somewhere in the middle of my BA I had some health problems that just made me change 360 my standing point. Talked to my family about wanting to study fashion and they supported me only if I finished engineering, so I did! Graduated from fashion design from Polimoda in and have been designing ever since.

What are your main achievements in your career at this moment? 
Presented with Polimoda during PITTI UOMO Internship with Bernhard Willhelm in los Angeles. Presented in LA Fashion Week under sanchez-kane Art / collaboration with Michael Willet Finalist with T for Three in Milan (fashion incubator) 200 emerging designers to watch by Vogue Italy Mexican designers to follow by ID Mexico


In what projects are you involved at this moment? 
TX3 in Milan. Fashion incubator and SANCHEZ-KANE brand.


How would you define fashion? 
As a designers for me is very important to build a world where cloths in included. It all comes with a setting and felling. Having a clear vision of what you want to create and taking risks not worrying too much about other people reaction. Stay out of your confort zone… provoke yourself and find a group of misfits and levitate together.

Who are your artistic influences or inspirations and why?
 It’s all around daily life from photography, silence to painters to lovers.

Finding your own voice is difficult, where and how do you find your personal creativity (before you start designing; during the design process)?
When I design I love getting involved as a character. I reflect myself in my diary, so the people sourrunding me play a important part of the narrative process. My collections have muse so to speak, everything has a story behind it. We can see in them the recreations of memories or feelings being reinterpretations of my diary in 3D. I been lucky to have lived in different cities. In florence I immersed myself in different cultures, beliefs and values which helped to learn to manage and not be afraid to play with my emotions as a source of inspiration.

What challenges did you face during the design process? 
I love designing outside a normal “fashion environment”. Is like you seal yourself for any artistic touch to put your ideas in incubation mode. Its me alone in my studio in Mexico and I like the love / hate relationship that follows. You need to remember why you wanted to be a designer in the first place (and never forget that) cause sometimes the world couldn’t turn you into a bitter abusive asshole.

What do you want to communicate with your designs in general?
 Use language as a weapon of communication and advertisement of nationalism.


Can you tell us something about the project you will presented at the FASHIONCLASH Festival? 
In 2000 our computers crashed. Internal information changed as the Y2K bug hit us hard. Now things have been altered EVE was born before ADAM. Our DNA was shift and now men are fighting for their basic rights. Mexico was a macho dominant country before 2000, now women are powerful. Trying to regain their identity to find a balance in a mexican women dominate world. A new citizen is born –“ citizen Sanchez-kane” He uses art as advertisement for nationalism and he embrace imperfection; strong sentimental new bread is born. We see the use of language as a weapon of communication, he just wants the world to be in peaceful dialogue and find the balance and equality. Personal and political emotional intrinsic elements are found, as the government hasn’t changed- it’s still corrupt.

What does your collection try to communicate (what is it about)?
Its all apart of a chapter in my live, actually when I was living in LA I dated a LGBT influencer. Totally different experience becoming part of that world and just being accepted no matter what’s your desire. This collection is for her and it ended up being so POLITICAL.

Why have you decided to participate at FASHIONCLASH Festival? It’s a great opportunity to show my work internationally amongst other very talented designers.

How is the theme Heritage related to your work (can be also preferred to previous work)?
It’s important for me to put myself out there. Everything is curated with a Mexican touch- its part of my DNA. I am lucky to have been born in Mexico where we have a rich culture and traditions. Using traditional Mayan techniques xokbichuy (cross stich) and Mexican revolution photography archive deeply influences my work.

If you could trade your heritage, for what would you trade it?
Maybe reincarnated in a Mayan princess.

Describe yourself in three words. 
Kinky, funny, ultra-Mexican

What’s a standard day for you? 
 If is not the weekend. Eat / Yoga / Design / Sleep

Vegan, vegetarian, healthy diet or any food will do?
Any food with peeper on it!

What’s your favourite song, food and movie/TV-show at the moment?
Song she is electric – oasis Food tacos (today and always) Movie/tv.show Starting to watch fargo

What is your bad habit?
Tend to speak very fast and maybe you will not understand me (good these interview is a written one)

Are you a people's person or a loner?
Have my days

Do you have a pet?
Yes BONO a little 80 kilo mastiff.

What’s your favourite city?
Florence

Are you going on holiday this year?
FASHIONCLASH =) ... Maastricht took all my flight miles.

What/Who do you miss the most when you are not at home?
My michelada google it.. amazing for hangovers.

Read more about Barbara and her brand: www.sanchez-kane.com
Images by Team Peter Stigter



Images above by Team Peter Stigter.








No comments:

AddThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...